Basic Cheese Soufflé
Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 60 min
- 1 cup Guida’s Dairy Whole Milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 cup shredded white cheese (like Gruyere, Swiss, or Jarlsberg)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 1-quart soufflé dish and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour, salt, mustard, and white pepper. Continue cooking, stirring continually. Add the milk and cook until smooth and bubbly. Add the cheese, stir and remove from the heat.
- In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick. Stir the yolks into the cheese mixture.
- Carefully fold the cheese into the egg whites. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until risen and golden.
- Serve immediately.