Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Waffle Sliders
Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 15 min
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbl granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup Guida’s Dairy Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp Guida’s Dairy Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for cooking
- 2 tbl maple syrup
- 2 tbl honey
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, eggs and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently whisk to combine.
- Spray a waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray, then preheat. Once the waffle maker is ready, add the batter according to the manufacturer’s instructions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the waffle maker indicates they are ready. Serve immediately, or place in a 300-degree oven to keep warm. Leftover waffles can be wrapped in plastic wrap, placed in a ziploc bag and stored in the refrigerator for 2 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
- Make marinade by combining 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon paprika. Combine with chicken tenderloins in a large resealable bag. Make sure chicken tenderloins are evenly coated with marinade and refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- Make breading by mixing flour, remaining salt, remaining garlic powder, remaining paprika, and baking powder in a bowl. Once combined, add buttermilk and stir until evenly clumpy. Dredge the chicken in the mixture and coat the tenderloins completely.
- Heat oil over high heat in a pot (there should be about 1 inch of oil in pot). Once oil is heated, place coated chicken tenderloins in oil and cook each side until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Once cooked, set aside on plates lined with paper towels. Repeat process until all chicken tenderloins are fried. Cool chicken for a few minutes.
- While chicken is cooling, whisk together maple syrup and honey in a small bowl. Brush both sides of the chicken with maple syrup mixture.
- On a serving dish place 8 waffle quarters down. Layer with a crispy piece of fried chicken and top with the second piece of waffle. Serve immediately.