Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Prep Time 30 min
Cook Time 30 min
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breast halves (cooked, boneless and cubed)
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend, quick cooking version with season packet
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup butter (12 tbsp. or a stick and a half)
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 cups Guida’s Dairy Light Cream
- Open rice, pull out seasoning packet and set aside
- In a small bowl, combine pepper and flour. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth and chicken. Bring to a boil, then stir in rice. Cover and remove from heat.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add carrots, celery and onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in contents of seasoning packet, and continue cooking vegetables until softened, about 5 minutes more. Add seasoned flour gradually while constantly stirring to form a roux. Sauté roux for 3-4 minutes to cook out raw flour taste.
- Whisk in light cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
- Stir cream mixture into broth and rive. Cook over medium heat until heated through and rice is done, 15-20 minutes.
- Alternatively, for those who cannot get the quick-cooking version of the rice, put the broth on boil and cook the 25-minute version of long grain and wild rice blend according to the directions.