Hearty Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Prep Time 45 min
Cook Time 1hr 15 min
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, very thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 pound slice (about 1/2-inch) deli ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb blend
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Guida’s Dairy milk
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 ounces prosciutto, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Set potatoes and ham aside. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish or a 9-inch square pan; set aside.
- In 2-quart saucepan melt butter over medium high heat. Add chopped onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and just beginning to brown.
- Stir in flour, Italian herb blend, dry ground mustard and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Whisk in whipping cream and milk. Continue cooking, whisking occasionally, until mixture thickens (2 to 3 minutes).
- Stir in half (4 ounces) the shredded cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Layer half the potatoes on bottom of prepared dish. Top with the cubed ham and sprinkle with half of remaining shredded cheese.
- Pour and spread half the cream mixture over potato layer. Repeat layering with remaining potatoes, cheese and cream mixture.
- Cover; bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and place strips of prosciutto on top. Return to oven, uncovered, and bake about 45 minutes longer, until cream mixture is bubbly, prosciutto is crispy and potatoes are fork tender.