Irish Buttermilk Scones
Prep Time 15 min
Cook Time 20 min
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter (softened)
- 1 1/4 cup Guida’s Dairy buttermilk
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1-2 tbsp caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Add softened butter and use a pastry blender to mix in until the texture of coarse sand.
- Add the buttermilk, egg, raisins, and caraway seeds and mix with a fork until it comes together.
- Turn out onto a work surface and knead until the dough becomes a ball. It should still be lumpy.
- Pat into a disk and cut into 8 wedges. Form each wedge into round ball and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut an X into the top of each ball.
- Bake at 400F for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.