Milk Jam Tart with Spiced Creme Fraiche
Prep Time 3 hrs
For the spiced crème fraiche
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the cracker crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- Mix together cracker crumbs and sugar.
- In a slow stream add butter, using a fork to toss well.
- Press into 4, 3” individual tart molds.
- Bake in a 350 F, preheated oven for 10 minutes. Cool.
For the milk jam filling
- 2 quarts Guida’s Dairy milk
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 8 sheets gelatin
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine milk, sugar, baking soda and vanilla bean (seeds and pod) and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring and scraping bottom and sides of the saucepan occasionally, until mixture has a dark caramel color and a jam-like texture, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Bloom gelatin sheets in ice water for 1 minute. Remove from ice water, squeeze excess moisture and stir into milk jam.
- Strain jam through a fine-mesh sieve and pour into tarts. Allow to cool and set, 1 hour. Top with sea salt, crème fraiche and serve.