Stars & Stripes Vanilla Berry Cake
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup Guida’s Dairy Cultured Lowfat Buttermilk
- 2 cups Guida’s Dairy Heavy Whipping Cream
- 5 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup rinsed/dried fresh blueberries
- 2 cups rinsed/dried sliced fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease 9 x 13 pan.
- In a large bowl use an electric mixer to cream butter, sugar, and oil together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat on high until mixture is light and velvety.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add half of flour mixture to butter mixture and lightly beat until just barely combined. Add half of the buttermilk, mix until just combined, add the remaining flour mix until just combined and finish with rest of the buttermilk, scraping the bowl and mixing until the mixture is just smooth and all ingredients are fully incorporated. Do not overmix or cake will be tough!
- Cool cake completely.
Using an electric mixer beat Guida’s Dairy Heavy Cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla on high until medium firm peaks form, and cream holds shape when stirred. Spread whipped cream on cool cake.
Turn the pan of frosted cake so the pan is oriented like a rectangle with the short sides on the side and long sides as top and bottom to make a flag shape. Place blueberries in a 3.5-4” x 3.5-4” square in the upper left corner of the 9 x 13 pan. Using strawberry slices slightly over lap them in a row along the entire length of the bottom side of the rectangle to create a stripe. Repeat moving up the cake, leaving space between the stripes to create the white stripes. You should end up with 4-5 stripes depending on the width of your strawberry slices. Serve and enjoy!